The Precious Fat of the Acorn-Fed Iberico Ham
Although we tend to think that fat is bad for our body, fat is necessary in any balanced diet. Before joining any fashion or food trend, it is best to inform ourselves well. There is a saturation of “you can’t, because it makes you fat or increases cholesterol”, used to discriminate some foods. For example, there are those who remove the fat from our coveted Iberico ham, one of the great treasures of gastronomy.
The quality of our 100% Iberico acorn-fed ham is unique thanks to the genetics of the Iberico pig and its diet, which is based on what our fields (the Dehesa) produce and, of course, acorns, which are their main food during his last months at the time of the Montanera. The acorns contain an amount of oleic acid greater than 60%, which is why the fat of the Iberico pig is especially rich in this fatty acid.
Can something so wonderful be healthy?
The “olive tree with legs”. This is what the Iberico pig is named thanks to its high content of oleic acid, the main component of olive oil. In addition to being an experience on the palate, it has the following nutritional properties:
- A heart-healthy food, as it reduces “bad” cholesterol (LDL) and increases “good” cholesterol (HDL), favoring blood circulation.
- It contains a high nutritional value, providing proteins, iron and B vitamins, essential for the development of the metabolism of your cells.
- It is one of the foods with the highest content of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, also high in iron, copper, phosphorous and zinc.
- The white fat of our Iberico ham is not meant to be removed, it is a very valuable handmade product, enjoy it!
- When you cut the whole piece, the only fat you need to remove is the oxidized brown or yellowish fat. The white is enjoyed in the mouth or in the kitchen.
- The white fat and the small pieces of ham that remain after cutting the whole piece, use them in your recipes to enhance the flavor of your dishes. For example, add the fat to your grilled vegetables or meats, eggs, to your soups, stews or even to a stir fry. Both that melted fat and the ham will take your recipes to another level.
Try it and you will see how all your dishes will be impregnated with the best flavor and aroma in the world. Every single corner of this gem is edible, exquisite and valued in all the kitchens of the world.
At Fermín, all our products are made with the best quality Iberico pigs, with a 100% natural diet and using traditional methods that have characterized us for more than 60 years.